|Job Title||Ambulance Dispatcher|
POSITION TITLE: Public Safety Communications Specialist
Reports to: Supervisor
Employees Supervised/Directed: None
POSITION PURPOSE AND SUMMARY
Under direction of the Communications Supervisor and MedicOne Medical Response management, the ideal Communications Specialist (“incumbent”) will perform duties associated with answering calls and communication with and dispatching ambulances to the sick and injured in accordance with all applicable laws, regulations, and MedicOne Medical Response communications protocols and operational policies.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
The incumbent must possess and apply knowledge and skills necessary to perform the duties of a communications specialist, in a dignified and compassionate manner, including:
- Effectively receive incoming requests for service from client base.
- Perform call triage when appropriate to insure patients receive most appropriate level of care.
- Input, via CAD, complete and accurate run information to allow successful deployment of resources and reimbursement for services.
- Provide exceptional customer service to both internal and external customers.
- Efficiently direct and deploy field resources to meet customer expectations.
- Maintain accurate system status management.
- Account for and insure field resource safety at all times.
- Deal with stressful situations with poise and professionalism.
- Immediately notify supervisor and/or manager of unusual occurrences
- Report and document response/service failures or violations of policy and procedures to supervisor and/or manager.
- Perform timely notifications as outlined in SOPs (info/stats pages, turn calls, etc.)
- Receive and respond to non-transport related customer requests in a timely manner.
- Coordinate and support operational needs of department.
- Efficiently use Communications technologies including CAD, radio, paging and cellular systems.
- Perform daily duties including PCS tracking, reports distribution and other duties as assigned.
- Maintain flexibility and resilience towards change.
- Constantly strive to improve processes and systems.
- Attend scheduled company and departmental meetings and functions if applicable.
- Maintain required certifications, training and CE requirements.
- Maintain field ride-time requirements.
The incumbent must perform all job responsibilities in a manner that protects patient privacy:
- The incumbent is expected to protect the privacy of all patient information in accordance with the Company’s privacy policies, procedures, and practices, as required by federal and state law, and in accordance with general principles of professionalism as a health care provider. Failure to comply with the Company’s Policies and Procedures on patient privacy may result in disciplinary action up to and including termination of employment with MedicOne Medical Response
- The incumbent may access protected health information and other patient information only to the extent that is necessary to complete your job duties. The incumbent may only share such information with those who have a need to know specific patient information you have in your possession to complete their job responsibilities related to treatment, payment or other Company operations.
- The incumbent is encouraged and expected to report, without the threat of retaliation, any concerns regarding the Company’s Policies and Procedures on patient privacy and any observed practices in violation of that Policy to the designated Privacy Officer.
The incumbent must also:
- Be a team player, as EMS is a team effort, and providers must provide necessary assistance to ensure system sanitation, readiness and adherence to quality assurance standards;
- Be flexible, as emergency services operate on a 24-hour clock; the incumbent’s assigned work shift schedule may vary.
- Maintain a thorough working knowledge of local geography, which includes maps, streets, and grid book systems;
The incumbent must have a minimum of either a high school diploma or a GED as evidence of completion of a high school education.
Certificates, Licenses And Registrations
The incumbent must possess and maintain a valid driver's license, current American Red Cross CPR for the Professional Rescuer and/or American Heart Association BCLS certification and/or ASHI CPR for the Professional Rescuer.
MENTAL REQUIREMENTS OF THE POSITION
- Handle a significant number of stressful situations, and be able to function calmly; coolly and collectedly under all types of stressful situations;
- Get along well with diverse personalities;
- Communicate with patients and others with empathy and respect;
- Create and maintain a positive and cooperative working environment in stressful situations;
- Work smoothly and professionally in an environment where teamwork is essential;
- Analyze and interpret difficult and complex patient care and personnel situations;
- Work independently with a minimal supervision for assigned tasks;
- Exercise sound independent judgment within general Policy and procedural guidelines;
- Anticipate and identify problems and take initiative to prevent or correct them;
- Establish and maintain effective working relationships with all levels of personnel within the medical community, MedicOne Medical Response, outside agencies, patients, and members of the community;
- Understand and follow federal, state and local laws, and MedicOne Medical Response policies, procedures, and rules;
- Follow orders;
- Remember and apply concepts, knowledge and principles; and
- Appropriate deal with stress and maintain composure when encountering serious injuries or illnesses.
The information provided in this description is designed to indicate the general nature and level of work performed by incumbents within this position. It is not to be interpreted as a comprehensive inventory of all duties, responsibilities, qualifications and working conditions required of employees assigned to this position. MedicOne Medical Response has the sole discretion to add or modify the duties of the position and to designate other functions at any time. This position description is not an employment agreement or contract.